The blended CELTA is our teacher training course that combines online CELTA training with face-to-face components. It is offered in collaboration with Cambridge English.
The theoretical part of the course is completed online over 13 weeks, while the
teaching practice is done at IH London face-to-face.
The course has eight weeks of evening sessions with a tutor (two evenings a week). This includes an orientation, lesson planning and teaching practice where you teach groups of students.
Please note that this course requires you to come to International House London for 17 lessons over 13 weeks. The course is NOT 100% online.
- English level required: C1+/C2/proficient
- Course length: 13 weeks
- Minimum age: 18
- Cost: £1,495 + £145 Cambridge registration fee
- Study hours: 120 including teaching practice
- Face-to-face sessions: 17 + orientation
- Course days: Mon and Wed or Tues and Thurs
- Course times: 18:30–21:30 (face-to-face); 17 sessions online weekly study
- Start dates: 15 April 2018, 2 September 2018
Who is this course for?
If you are an English speaker considering teaching English as a foreign language, this is the course for you, whether you want to teach during a gap year or develop a long term career.
You don’t need previous English language teaching experience. If you do, the course will give you new teaching techniques and a qualification to confirm your ability to do the job properly.
You should be aged 20 or over, though we will accept candidates aged 18-19 at our discretion.
Your educational standard should be equivalent to that required for entry into higher education. If English is not your first language you need to have a minimum language level equivalent to C2 on the Common European Framework (CEF). If you are C1 (CEF) level you can still complete the practical elements of the CELTA course, but you will receive an IH Certificate in TESOL.
Acceptance onto a CELTA course is conditional upon successful completion of an application form (which includes a Language Awareness Task) and an interview.
CELTA training will help you:
- understand the principles of effective teaching and acquire the practical skills to allow you to do this
- become more aware of language and able to apply this knowledge when teaching
- start to understand how and why adults learn English and the role of both the teacher and the learner
- learn how to develop professionally in the field
- receive a qualification accredited at level 5 on the Qualifications Credit Framework (QCF)
- Access to CELTA tasks and course materials online
- Flexible training schedule to fit around other commitments
- Interactive tasks, guided video observation and forum discussion
- Assessment and moderation according to the same criteria as the face-to-face course
- Sessions on Sessions on classroom management and lesson planning workload and course assessment
- There is a lot of work outside of timetabled hours. This mostly consists of lesson preparation and written assignments
- There is no final exam. Assessment is based on teaching practice and written assignments. You need to pass both elements to be awarded the CELTA Certificate
- Please note, that this is a demanding course and you must have the potential to become an effective teacher and complete assignments and assessments throughout
Apply for this course
Our courses are regularly oversubscribed and they fill up fast. We strongly recommend applying early to avoid disappointment and have greater choice over dates and times.
Download and return application form
- Download the application form and language awareness task, complete and save it, and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once we have received the form we will respond to you within three working days to advise you of the results and discuss the next steps.
- Acceptance on to the CELTA is dependent on a successful application interview.