OET Preparation - online and face-to-face
The Occupational English Test (OET) is a test of English for healthcare professionals. In the UK it is approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council in November 2017.
Nurses and Midwives require a grade B in the OET to work in the UK. Grade B is an advanced level of English, equivalent to IELTS band 7 and C1 in the Common European Framework (CEF).
Who is the course for?
Currently the course is for nurses and midwives from outside the UK who are already working in the UK or who wish to gain employment in the UK. It enables you to communicate effectively and sensitively in a wide range of healthcare scenarios.
For those already working, it ensures you can quickly apply your learning to your workplace. To join the course you will need to take a placement test and demonstrate that your English is at B2 (Upper-Intermediate) level.
The main objective of this course is to enable students to gain a grade B at the OET test, through:
- Learning advanced vocabulary related to the fields of nursing and midwifery
- Improve overall grammatical accuracy
- Developing functional skills relevant to the workplace, such as explaining, reassuring, instructing and managing distress
- Developing professional writing skills, such as writing a referral letter
- Developing reading strategies to enable students to read medical articles and information more effectively
- Developing listening skills within medical contexts
- Improving pronunciation to ensure effective communication
- Flexible hours for small groups or individuals
- 100-120 hours delivered over 12 weeks (depending on level)
- Additional self-study of 5 hours per week
- Blended and on-line options available
- Progress tests and individual feedback given