Our Young Learner Summer Centres in Ellesmere, London, Oxford, Portsmouth and Shanghai combine high level English Language teaching with the chance for students to take part in activities and excursions across the UK.
At all of our Young Learner Centres students are encouraged to speak English at all times, using the language in social situations to improve their learning ability.
English classes are fast-paced and interactive and students are encouraged to practise their new language skills during sports, cultural and social activities.
Our summer locations
Our summer centres take place in five locations:
- IH Ellesmere provides a countryside setting which offer students real English charm;
- IH London provides students the opportunity to make the most of the non-stop action that the capital city has to offer;
- IH Oxford offers a city experience in a historical and picturesque location;
- IH Portsmouth provides students the opportunity to explore the only island city in the UK, known for its vibrant shopping and eating establishments;
- IH Shanghai brings our Future Leaders programme to Shanghai in China and offers an insight into Chinese culture and history, as well as the chance to interact with local Chinese students.
All programmes emphasise the importance of learning through culture, physical activity and fun. All aspects of our summer programmes are adapted to suit the age and English level of our students.
Our summer programmes
There are various programmes to choose from:
- Discover English. This option is available for 12-17 year-olds in Oxford (spring), for 8-11 year-olds in Ellesmere (summer).
- English Active. This option is available for 12-17 year-olds on the summer programme in Oxford and Ellesmere.
- English Plus. This option is available for 12-17 year-olds on the summer programme in Oxford and Ellesmere.
- English Explorer. This option is available for 13-17 year-olds in London (summer) and for 12-17 year-olds in Portsmouth (summer).
- Young MBA. This option is available for 13-17 year-olds in London and Portsmouth.
- Young Professionals. This option is available for 13-17 year-olds in London and Portsmouth.
- Future Leaders. This option is available for 14-17 year-olds in Ellesmere, Oxford and Shanghai.
Our Discover English course offers engaging and stimulating English lessons in the morning with set sporting or cultural activities in the afternoon. Activities include football, glass painting, basketball, jewellery making, swimming, yoga, badminton, dance, cricket and shopping.
Find out more about Discover English in IH Ellesmere
English Active allows students to choose six hours a week of professional coaching in one of the following activities: football, golf, tennis, basketball, drama, photography or dance. Activities can be chosen for one or more weeks.
Find out more about English Active in IH Oxford
Find out more about English Active in IH Ellesmere
English Plus Young Learners course offers a mix of engaging and stimulating English lessons in the morning with further English practice lessons in the afternoon.
Find out more about English Plus in IH Oxford
Find out more about English Plus in IH Ellesmere
English Explorer is the perfect course to help young people gain skills and confidence in using the English language, whilst having lots of fun, learning
about all the history and culture that the city has to offer.
Find out more about English Explorer in IH London
Find out more about English Explorer in IH Portsmouth
Young MBA is a taster of a real MBA programme but aimed at secondary-school students. It covers all of the concepts a real MBA programme would, but in two weeks. It focuses on an introduction to leadership skills, strategic thinking, business planning and so on.
Find out more about Young MBA in IH London
Find out more about Young MBA in IH Portsmouth
Young Professionals is designed to help students choose the right career path for them. As well as learning more about different industries and the many jobs that exist, the Young Professionals Programme will help students defi ne their career aspirations and set realistic goals for the future.
Find out more about Young Professionals in IH London
Find out more about Young Professionals in IH Portsmouth
Future Leaders is for school groups and individuals who want to gain new skills sought-after in academic and professional careers. It is a programme designed to bring the best out of each participant and equip them with skills that will be useful to them in the future.
Find out more about our Future Leaders programmes