For ages 12-17, intermediate English level, to learn STEM using the LEGO®MINDSTORMS® EV3 robot
Available in spring and summer
Students learn STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) concepts while having fun, through coding the LEGO®MINDSTORMS® EV3 robot and developing their own app. Study trips include the London Science Museum. Ages 12-17.
|English level||B1 (intermediate) and above|
|Course length||2 weeks|
|Season||Spring | Summer|
This course features 21 hours of STEM classes and project work each week. It is designed to help students improve their everyday English as well as their knowledge of science and technology.
Within their STEM classes, students will look at the big questions facing scientists and technology tycoons today. Will space tourism become the norm? What will replace bullet trains and driverless cars in the future? Is sustainability a realistic objective for society?
This will lead into practical sessions with our partners Lego Education where students get hands-on experience building and programming a LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3 to solve challenges.
Students will also have the opportunity to develop their very own mobile app or game. The aim will be to solve a gap in the market or social issue. Students will present their apps and games at the end of the final week.
Students will also enjoy half-day and full-day excursions to a site or city of interest including a visit to the Science Museum in London, London walking tour, Winchester Planetarium, Windsor Castle, and Brighton with a ride on the Brighton i360.
There are on-site evening activities organised by IH staff every night, including fashions shows, discos, film nights, and treasure hunts.
Learning summary (per two-week course)
Practical and theoretical STEM lessons and project work: 42 hours
Study trips: 2 full-day trips and 1 half-day trip
Other activities, including sports, arts and crafts: 40 hours
Your child will:
- Improve their spoken English and active listening skills
- Increase their English vocabulary particularly in the areas of science and technology
- Develop critical thinking and study skills
- Enhance their knowledge of topical STEM issues
- Be able to programme and use the LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3 robot
- Get hands on experience of building a mobile app or game of their own!
- Make new friends from around the world
- All tuition
- All class materials
- All activities
- Full and half day trips to exciting destinations
- Evening activities organised and supervised by IH staff at the school
- On-site residential accommodation at the school
- All meals
- Regular drinks and snacks
- 24/7 support and supervision by our on-site IH team
- Free Wi-Fi access
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Course selection
- Personal details
- Confirm & pay
We are the first UK language school to offset carbon emissions, for all flights to all our summer young learner courses.
All our schools have four on-site senior managers. All senior staff have student welfare training every year.
International House London is a charitable education trust and we reinvest profits to improve your child’s learning experience.
Our Young Learner Centres are accredited by The British Council.