Japanese Level 1 is a Beginners Japanese course for students who have never studied the Japanese language before. If you’re unsure of your level, then take our quick Japanese language level test here or check our levels chart.
Our Japanese language classes take place at our school in Covent Garden with a qualified, experienced teacher and fellow students. Evening language classes at IH London are dynamic and interactive as the emphasis is on spoken communication, which is achieved through lots of group work and role-plays. At the same time, there is systematic work on grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation, so that you can improve on all aspects of the language. Your teacher speaks in the target language throughout, so that you can refine your comprehension and listening skills.
– Greeting people
– Introducing yourself and someone else
– Asking and giving personal details
– Forming affirmative & negative sentences in present tense.
– Forming questions.
– Particles “wa”, “mo”, “ka” and “no”
– The Ko, So, A, Do system of demonstrative words.
(1) Watashi wa Tanaka Yoshio desu. – I am Yoshio Tanaka.
(2) Suzuki san wa isha ja arimasen. – Ms Suzuki is not a doctor.
(3) Yamada san wa gakusei desuka. – Is Mr Yamada a student?
(4) Sasaki san mo gakusei desu. – Ms Sasaki is a student too.
(5) Kore wa hon desu. – This is a book.
(7) Kore wa kuruma no hon desu. – This is a book on cars.
(8) Sore wa watashi no pen desu. -That is my pen.
(9) Kono kaban wa watashi no desu. – This bag is mine.
(10) Koko wa ima desu. – This is a living room.
(11) Tokei wa asoko desu. – The clock is over there.
– Leisure activities
– Numbers 0 – 10.000
– Hiragana Alphabet
– Country and Nationality
– Family names
– Items in a department stores and office buildings
Course Book – Minna no Nihon-go Beginners Book 1
Chapters 1 to 3
- Average class size: 8 (maximum 14)
- Students must be 18+ years old
- Existing language ability: this is a course for complete beginners
- Classes will take place at our school in Covent Garden (16 Stukeley Street, Holborn, London WC2B 5LQ)
- The classes are 2 hours per week
- The course runs for 6 weeks
- The course takes place on weekday evenings 18:30 – 20:30
- The possible study options for this course are as follow:
Thursdays: 18th August – 22nd September 2022
Mondays: 26th September – 31st October 2022
Tuesdays: 8th November – 13th December 2022
Wednesdays: 11th January – 15th February 2023
Thursdays: 23rd February – 30th March 2023
Wednesdays: 5th April – 17th May 2023*
Tuesdays: 23rd May – 27th June 2023
Wednesdays: 5th July – 9th August 2023
Thursdays: 24th August – 28th September 2023
Mondays: 2nd October – 6th November 2023
Tuesdays: 14th November – 19th December 2023
*Due to the Easter holiday there is a break in the course on the 12th of April. The course still consists of 6 lessons spread out over 7 weeks.
This language course includes:
- Access to our Moodle platform to download lesson summaries, notes and resources
- Support and advice from Japanese language teachers
- Japanese language study tips
- Course selection
- Personal details
- Confirm & pay