Online Japanese Club is an Advanced course for students who have studied the Japanese language to a high level and wish to work on fluency. Online Japanese Club requires that you have previously studied a course of at least 240 class hours. If you’re unsure of your level, then take our quick Japanese language level test here or check our levels chart.
Our Online Japanese language classes take place via Zoom with a qualified, experienced teacher and fellow students. The interactive lessons emulate our face-to-face classes, and via teacher screen-sharing, students are able to experience a live classroom environment. From vocabulary activities and covering grammar points on the white board, to listening exercises, file sharing and ‘break-out rooms’ to practise speaking with classmates, students can learn without leaving the comfort of their homes. Take a look at an example of one of our online classes in this video.
This course focuses on conversation so you will have the opportunity to improve and refine:
- Your conversational skills
- Your fluency by focusing on specific tasks
- Your pronunciation by:
- Learning to recognise specific sounds and reproduce them
- Finding your perfect speech pace
- Learning to use your mouth to produce those difficult sounds
- Your intonation: sound like a native!
- Learn how to join words in more complex sentences and express yourself effectively: intonation communicates your emotions and intentions
- Focus on cultural awareness
- During the course you will be encouraged to record yourself
- Average class size: 8 (maximum 12)
- Students must be 18+ years old
- Existing language ability: 240 class hours of previous Japanese language study required
- Classes will take place via Zoom
- The classes are 2 hours per week
- The course runs for 6 weeks
- The course takes place on Thursday evenings 18:30 – 20:30
- The possible study options for this course are as follow:
19th August – 23rd September 2021
30th September – 4th November 2021
11th November – 16th December 2021
13th January – 17th February 2022
24th February – 31st March 2022
7th April – 19th May 2022*
26th May – 30th June 2022**
7th July – 11th August 2022
18th August – 22nd September 2022
29th September – 3rd November 2022
10th November – 15th December 2022
*Due to the Easter holiday there is a break in the course on the 21st of April. The course still consists of 6 lessons however.
**Due to the Bank Holiday, the lesson on the 2nd of June will be rescheduled to another day tbc with the teacher.
What do you need for an online class?
To get the most from this course you will need:
- A reliable internet connection
- A desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone
- A web camera on or attached to the device you are using
- An integrated microphone in the device you are using or an attached headset
- The day before your course, you will be sent via email all the details you need to connect to the IH London Zoom classroom
This language course includes:
- Access to our Moodle platform to download lesson summaries, notes and resources
- Support and advice from Japanese language teachers
- Japanese language study tips
- Course selection
- Personal details
- Confirm & pay