Full-time CELTA - 4 weeks
The Cambridge English CELTA is the go-to course for anyone seeking a qualification in teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL). The CELTA is recognised world-wide and is accredited at level 5 on the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).
The full-time CELTA is an intensive and rewarding course. You will teach real students from an early stage and receive feedback from your tutor and peers. Throughout you are taught as you are being asked to teach and are encouraged to reflect on your understanding and performance.
You don't need teaching experience to apply for the CELTA but you will need to complete a language awareness task and interview as part of your application.
Book the CELTA and learn a new language for free!
Get ready for your trip overseas by studying a new language or refreshing your language skills at no extra cost! Book your CELTA and register for a language course for free. You can choose from any of the following languages: Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish.
Group classes are held in the evenings, for 2 hours a week and courses run for six weeks. Our classes are taught by qualified teachers. Places are subject to availability and can be started within 3 months after your CELTA.
- English level required: C1+/C2/proficient
- Minimum age: 18
- Minimum course size: 10
- Maximum course size: 15
- Teacher to student ratio: 1 to 5
- Lesson days: Monday to Friday
- Lesson times: 9:00-16:00 or 11:30-18:30
- Cost: £1,495 (4 weeks) + £145 Cambridge registration fee
- Course length: 4 weeks
- Study hours: 120 including teaching practice
- Contact time per week: 30 hours
- Start dates: 29 October, 26 November 2018; 7 January, 4 February, 4 March, 1 April, 29 April, 3 June, 1 July, 29 July, 2 September, 30 September, 28 October, 25 November 2019
Who is the course for?
Anyone looking to start teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) should consider this course. Current TEFL teachers who do not have a formal qualification may also benefit from the CELTA.
You'll need an education level equivalent to that required for entry into higher education and be at least 20 or over. We will consider applications from 18 and 19 year olds on a case by case basis at our own discretion.
The CELTA is a demanding and intensive course. You should be prepared to complete regular assignments and assessments and must have the disposition, potential and drive to become an effective teacher.
If English isn't your first language you will need a language level of C2 advanced plus on the CEFR. If your level is C1 advanced you can still study the practical aspects of the CELTA on our IH certificate in TESOL course.
The CELTA, or Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages to use its full title, is a structured and practical introduction to TEFL. It aims to provide you with the knowledge, practical experience and confidence to begin working as a TEFL teacher upon successfully completing the course.
Completing the CELTA will help you to:
- become more language-aware and able to apply this knowledge when teaching
- gain a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- start to understand how and why adults learn English and the role of the teacher and learner
- understand the principles and practice of effective teaching
- understand which resources to use with adult learners for teaching, testing and reference purposes
- identify development opportunities as a professional in the field
The CELTA is made up of instruction, teaching practice and reflection and contains the following components:
- input sessions on language awareness, student awareness, classroom management and lesson planning
- daily small group teaching practice with students at different language levels
- detailed feedback and discussion sessions with tutors
- observation of qualified teachers and your peers
The five main topics you will cover in the CELTA course are:
- learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- language analysis and awareness
- language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- planning and resources for different contexts
- developing teaching skills and professionalism
To receive a CELTA certificate you will need to complete the course and meet the assessment criteria for all written and practical assignments. You will be assessed on 6 hours of teaching practice and 4 written assignments. There are three passing grades: Pass A, Pass B and Pass.
Throughout the CELTA you will need to spend a substantial amount of time on lesson preparation and written assignments outside of timetabled hours.
Sample course programme
Click on the image above; the file opens in a new window.
Apply for this course
Our courses are regularly oversubscribed and they fill up fast. We strongly recommend applying early to avoid disappointment and have greater choice over dates and times.
Download and return application form