International House London has been authorised by the British Council to conduct IELTS tests for London Private Hire drivers (new and renewal licence applications). If you require an IELTS test for this reason, to book your test please click here:
International House – Central London
For more information on the Transport for London requirements for Private Hire drivers, please visit https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-and-private-hire/english-language-requirement?cid=ph-language.
Transport for London (TfL) has recently changed its London Private Hire regulations. From the 1st October 2016 new and existing Private Hire drivers renewing their licence will be required to take an approved test of English and achieve a B1 result.
One of only two approved TfL tests is IELTS. This tests candidates in 4 skill areas:
The tests are scored on a band scale of 1-9 and to be successful you will need to achieve an overall band score of 4 in each area, which is B1 level on the CEFR.
Please note that it is a TfL requirement that each element of the test is filmed as a security measure and you will be asked to agree to this before taking the test.
The IELTS Test offers two options:
- Academic Training
- General Training
The Speaking and Listening components are the same for each option but the Reading and Writing tasks are more difficult for the Academic Module. Therefore we would “strongly recommend” Private Hire drivers to register for the General Training Module.- Find out more
What is B1?
B1 is a measure on the Common European Framework of language abilities and consists of a list of ‘can do’ statement. Here is a brief overview of the B1 'Can Do' statements:
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
IH London has a number of closed group courses to help prepare you for the IELTS Test.
IELTS for TfL – Briefing Session
IH London holds regular briefing sessions for candidates looking to take the IELTS test. This is a good opportunity to get and overview of the test as well as the test day expectations.
Some of the things we can offer as part of a briefing session with IH London:
- An overview of the test and the requirements
- A level test to see if you are ready to book your IELTS exam.
- Based on your level you could then get:
- Information and advice on how to improve your general level of English and get to the level required
- Tips on exam technique and how you can best prepare for the exam
- Help booking your exam slot
- Teachers will be available to answer questions you might have about the IELTS exam.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book a briefing session on one of the dates below:
26th Feb 14:00
5th March 14:00
12th March 14:00
19th March 14:00
26th March 14:00