International House London has been authorised by the British Council to conduct IELTS tests for London Private Hire drivers (new and renewal licence applications). If you require an IELTS test for this reason, to book your test please click here:
International House – London East
IH Barnet & Southgate College – London North
For more information on the Transport for London requirements for Private Hire drivers, please visit https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-and-private-hire/english-language-requirement?cid=ph-language.
Transport for London (TfL) has recently changed its London Private Hire regulations. From the 1st October 2016 new and existing Private Hire drivers renewing their licence will be required to take an approved test of English and achieve a B1 result.
One of only two approved TfL tests is IELTS. This tests candidates in 4 skill areas:
The tests are scored on a band scale of 1-9 and to be successful you will need to achieve an overall band score of 4 in each area, which is B1 level on the CEFR.
Please note that it is a TfL requirement that each element of the test is filmed as a security measure and you will be asked to agree to this before taking the test.
The IELTS Test offers two options:
- Academic Training
- General Training
The Speaking and Listening components are the same for each option but the Reading and Writing tasks are more difficult for the Academic Module. Therefore we would “strongly recommend” Private Hire drivers to register for the General Training Module.- Find out more
What is B1?
B1 is a measure on the Common European Framework of language abilities and consists of a list of ‘can do’ statement. Here is a brief overview of the B1 'Can Do' statements:
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
IH London has a number of closed group courses to help prepare you for the IELTS Test.
Top Tips for IELTS (General Training Module): £60.00
4 - hour session, 1.15 - 5.15 Fridays, that gives you:
- An overview of the 4 parts of the test : Listening; Reading; Writing and Speaking
- Some strategies for dealing with each part of the test
- Some tips that will help you in the test.
Overview and Preparation: £160.00
If you do not want to attend the entire full programme, separate sessions can be booked: £40.00 per session:
- Mondays 1.15 – 3.15 : Overview plus Speaking
- Tuesday 1.15 – 3.15 : Listening
- Wednesdays 1.15 – 3.15 : Writing
- Thursdays 1.15 – 3.15 : Reading
For more information on our preparation course for B1 English test for Private Hire drivers please email firstname.lastname@example.org