For ages 12-17, to prepare students to study in an English-speaking environment and gain an English language qualification
Available in summer
Arrival day: Wednesday
Our most academic course with English lessons to prepare students to study in an English-speaking environment. Students take the LinguaSkill Speaking Exam to gain the qualification. Students also practise their English with trips and activities.
*This start date can be booked for a maximum of 1 week.
Unlike our other Young Learner English programmes, this course has English lessons in both the morning and in the afternoon: 21 hours of English tuition per week by a qualified English teacher. It is an intensive course across English reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
It is not all hard work though – English Plus classes are lively, interactive and fun. Students are encouraged to speak English at all times, and benefit from using the language with others their own age in different social situations.
Students will have 15 hours of general English lessons with the rest of the school then six additional hours focused on improving their spoken English with an exam at the end of their course.
Students also participate in sports, arts and crafts, and other activities. Aimed at practising English through fun and teamwork, the English Plus programme proves that it is possible to work hard and still have fun!
There are on-site evening activities organised by IH staff every night, including fashions shows, discos, film nights, and treasure hunts.
Learning summary (per week)
Lessons: 21 hours
Study trips: 1 full-day trip and 1 half-day trip
Other activities, including sports, arts and crafts: 22 hours
Your child will:
- Improve their spoken English
- Increase their vocabulary
- Develop exam and study skills
- Be fully prepared for studying in an English-speaking environment
- Make new friends from around the world
- Gain the LinguaSkill Speaking Exam qualification
Study trips are also a big part of the course, with one full-day and one half-day trip to places of interest in the UK included every week.
- Trips at Frensham include: Birmingham Science Centre, Warwick Castle, London walking tour and the London Eye, Oxford, and the Harry Potter Studio.
- Trips at Oxford include: Walking tour of Oxford, Punting on the River Cherwell, Bath with a walking tour and entrance to the Roman Baths, and London, with a ride on the London Eye, a royalty and politics walking tour, and Westminster Abbey.
- Trips at Cambridge include: Warwick Castle, Oxford city centre, London with a Thames boat cruise and royalty walking tour, and punting on the river Cam.
- All tuition
- All class materials
- All activities
- Full and half day trips to exciting destinations
- Evening activities organised and supervised by IH staff at the school
- On-site residential accommodation at the school
- All meals
- Regular drinks and snacks
- 24/7 support and supervision by our on-site IH team
- Free Wi-Fi access
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- The English language exam (provided by LanguageCert) fee is included in the course price.
IH Frensham Young Learner Centre is held in a private boarding school with excellent sports facilities and a theatre for music and performing arts, in the heart of Surrey countryside, South East England. Learn more about our Frensham centre.
IH London’s Cambridge Young Learner Centre is held in the prestigious Murray Edwards College. The college is part of the University of Cambridge, and is home to the largest collection of women’s art in Europe. Learn more about our Cambridge centre.
Our IH Oxford Young Learner Centre is located in one of the most famous cities in the world for learning. The prestigious St Edward’s private school has many Oxford University colleges within walking distance. Learn more about our Oxford centre.
Sir Isaac Newton, Stephen Hawking and Charles Darwin all studied at Cambridge.
Oxford locations (the Bodleian Library, New College and Christ Church) feature in many of the Harry Potter films.
The University of Cambridge was founded in 1209.
Frensham Common is owned by the National Trust and is a site of special scientific interest.
- Course selection
- Personal details
- Confirm & pay
We are the first UK language school to offset carbon emissions, for all flights to all our summer young learner courses.
All our schools have four on-site senior managers. All senior staff have student welfare training every year.
International House London is a charitable education trust and we reinvest profits to improve your child’s learning experience.
Our Young Learner Centres are accredited by The British Council.