International House was founded in 1953 when John and Brita Haycraft opened their first language school in Cordoba, Spain. In 1964 they set up a non-profit-making Educational Trust committed to raising the standards of English language teaching and training world-wide.
John Haycraft sought to promote international understanding through language learning and teacher training. He introduced the first training programme for teachers of English as a Foreign Language, which blended teaching theory and practice.
Trainees taught real students and were observed by experienced trainers who gave them support and feedback. The teacher training course developed at International House was the forerunner of the Cambridge ESOL CELTA.
1953: The first school
International House is founded by John and Brita Haycraft. The first school opens in Cordoba, Spain.
1959: Endell Street
IH London is established with its first premises in Endell Street, later moving to 40 Shaftesbury Avenue.
IH is the first to introduce a formalised teacher training qualification, which today is the CELTA course.
1964: The IH Trust
John and Brita Haycraft form the IH Educational Trust.
1964: Raising the standard
IH Trust is founded to raise the standards of English language teaching and training worldwide.
1977: The Piccadilly years
International House moves to an 18th Century mansion at 106 Piccadilly.
2007: Stukeley Street
IH London moves to a fully-equipped building in Stukeley Street, Covent Garden.
2009: The IH World Organisation
Today IH World Organisation is made up of more than 150 schools in over 50 countries worldwide.
International House World
The International House World Organisation is made up of more than 150 independent schools in over 50 countries worldwide who share the same philosophy and teaching approach.
Read more about International House World
The International House Trust is a registered charity trading as International House London and International House Oxford.