Anyone who would like to start teaching English as a second language as a new career, to travel, or for both. This course is also suitable for people who have some teaching experience but would like training and the CELTA qualification.
You will need to have a proficient level of English to begin the course.
- Understand the principles of effective teaching and acquire practical teaching skills
- Learn how to analyse language for teaching
- Understand how adults learn and the role of the teacher and the learner
- Learn how to develop your knowledge and skills
- Gain confidence and professional knowledge
There is a focus on communication and the communicative teaching approach, learning through tasks. This is reflected in the tasks we ask our trainees to do in the classroom with their students, and also in the way that we train our trainees in the training room.
There is lots of group work and discussion, and creativity in designing activities for students.
The course has five topics:
- An introduction to teaching
- Language skills and analysis
- Teaching the four skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking
- Planning classes and preparing resources
- Teaching and professionalism
The course includes:
- Teaching practice at IH London
- Observation of qualified teachers
- Detailed feedback with tutors
- Access to our ELT library (the largest in London)
- Free online Grammar for Teachers course you have access to from the day you book
- Access to our online teacher training DVD series – 15 teaching videos with accompanying lesson plans that you can access from home
- 120 hours of lessons (plus 120 hours of self-study)
- Career advice talk at the end of your course
- ‘Trained by IHLondon’ facebook alumni group
- Inclusive pricing. No hidden costs with IH London
To receive a CELTA certificate you will need to complete the course and meet the assessment criteria for all written and practical assignments. You will be assessed on 6 hours of teaching practice and 4 written assignments. There are three passing grades: Pass A, Pass B and Pass.
Whether you want to teach for a summer, a year, or a lifetime, the skills learned during a CELTA course with IH London will boost your CV and career – and open up a world of possibilities to teach and travel.
CELTA graduate stories
Hear from our previous graduates about their experience of the course, and what happened once they graduated.Read the blog
Finishing the CELTA
What happens at the end of the CELTA? Watch the video to find out.Watch the video
Find out more about our open afternoons where we answer all your CELTA questions, either face-to-face or online.Find out more
Transform your career
Read our blog on your CELTA timeline. Find out how the application process works, and how long it takes to go from applicant to teacher living abroad!Read the blog
CELTA advice from a graduate
Watch this video by CELTA graduate Gopal Dave for his top tips.Watch the video
Book now, pay later
Start your CELTA course now and pay later! Spread the cost of your online or face-to-face CELTA course through Payl8r instalment service. A fast, easy and hassle free financing option to help you get started! Find out more on our Payment Options page.Find out more
The CELTA at IH London was recommended by everyone I spoke to. It seems to have an unrivalled reputation. The CELTA was very demanding but even more rewarding. It has proved an excellent vehicle for travelling the world.
It was incredibly interesting and helpful for my teaching career development.
I’ve worked in corporate big companies for nearly 30 years and I want a different career, and to work and travel in South America. My two pieces of advice are: enjoy it, because it’s a really fun positive experience; and it is intense for the 4 weeks you are doing the course, but it’s worth it.